Saw on the AppleInsider that there’s an Apple announcement coming next Tuesday, with the explicit “no iPod, no iPhone news” comment. My prediction is they are going to launch an ultraportable table MacBook (or some other fancy name). I specifically think it’ll be a 12.1″ display and be the width of the iPhone, have no keyboard at all, USB, FireWire, BlueTooth, WiFi and possibly built-in AT&T Edge access. Here’s my rationale:
- I can’t believe they’ve invested so much R&D to make touch screens work well, yet only deploy it on the iPhone. Seems like they’d want to reuse that technology.
- Further, since the iPhone runs OSX (sorta), there’s no “porting” to make it work on the other hardware platform.
- Speculations of an ultrathin keyboard would be a natural fit to an all-touch computer.
- Since Apple always tries to do things “the best” it seems logical that they’d do something revolutionary with their ultraportable, which everyone seems to agree they’ll be building.
- I’d hazard a guess that the new iMacs are just a cover story that’s let them slip under the radar on this.
- Just like they blew people away with the iPhone, they’d love to be first at making a touch-based computer that people really like to use.
If I’m right, I’m buying one.