Just saw The Transformers movie. Had a grand ol’ time. Kudos to Michael Bay for, well, not over-Michael-Baying it. I’m not doing any sort of review here, I’ll leave that to the pros, but I will say it most certainly stirred all the memories playing with the toys and watching the cartoon as a 13-year-old.
- Dialogue could only be worse had George “metachlorians” Lucas written it himself.
- Way too many characters with way too many mini-plots.
- Couldn’t always tell which Transformer was which during the action scenes.
- Did I mention the dialogue?
- The scene Bay lifted from The Rock (his own movie).
- Little too much time in the backyard (you’ll know what I mean).
- Best. CGI. Ever. Seriously, only after walking out did I have that realization of “those weren’t really robots!”
- Novel action sequences – it wasn’t just one long punch-em-up.
- Solid(ish) plot. Look, it’s a comic book movie, so you have to start with fairly low expectations. That said, they weaved together a decently credible storyline with only a few “really?” scenes here and there.
- Not scared of a little violence, but also not gory or nauseating. I think Gears of War actually has more violence in the opening sequence than the whole movie had.
- Not too ridiculous a use of technology (other than the whole cars-turning-into-robots thing), although “hand me a screwdriver” was a bit silly.
- Quite a few throwbacks/references to the original cartoon.
- It’s just plain fun, and doesn’t take itself too seriously!
Considering I don’t get to see many movies these days, I was glad to make it through the 2.5 hour (OMG yes) flick and not do a watch-check or anything else. I had a lot of fun. It’s no masterpiece theatre, but I have a hunch this’ll go down as the most fun movie of the summer.
Happy 4th o’ July everybody!